This classic Moist Zucchini Bread recipe is easy, an all-time favorite made of grated zucchini and crunchy walnuts incorporated in the batter in a subtle cinnamon, nutmeg flavor with delicious spiced crumb topping.
For my taste, the best zucchini bread recipe is moist and not too sweet with or without any topping.
It can be enjoyed year round especially if you are growing this healthy vegetable in your garden with overflowing zucchini.
Sometimes, I wonder why it is called bread and not a cake, since it resembles a cake. Anyway, bread or cake, it is delicious and not at all sweet.
My mom is not much of a baker. She experimented in the company of friends but very seldom on her own.
When I started baking, I learned a few easy bread recipe and this is one of them. Banana bread is one of my favorite too. It is easy and delicious as well.
Any recipe that calls for sugar, if I could, I try to cut down the amount. If you have a sweet tooth, then you might not like my zucchini bread recipe. YOU WILL, just add some sugar!
This moist Zucchini Bread is good on its own, but you can take it to the next level by adding spiced crumble topping, glaze or dusting of powdered sugar.
If you made some of my desserts, you will notice it is not too sweet. I always reduce the amount of sugar, if I can.
One more reason to love, a mixer is not needed to make this delicious zucchini bread. One less thing to wash!
Ingredients to add to bread
(1) Walnuts – Chopped walnuts not whole.
(3) Chocolate Chips – Give chocolate chips a light coating of flour before adding to the batter. This will prevent chips from sinking to the bottom.
Tips making this moist zucchini bread recipe
(1) Choose firm zucchini. Wash and don’t peel. Zucchini skin will add texture to the bread. Grate and set aside.
Note: Zucchini is moist, if not, sprinkle a little bit of water.
(2) Prepare 2 bowls, one for dry ingredients and the other for wet ingredients. It is much easier to mix these ingredients separately. Run flour in a sieve then measure.
(3) NO MIXER NEEDED! Do it manually and do not over mix.
(4) This moist Zucchini Bread recipe is forgiving. Instead of adding 1 cup oil, I am using ½ cup oil and ½ cup pureed apple. I used frozen apple pureed in the blender with a little bit of water, otherwise use apple sauce.
Note: The bread itself is not sweet because I am adding crumbs. If you omit the topping and prefer a sweeter zucchini bread, you can add ½ cup of sugar.
(4) Mix ingredients in each bowl then gradually stir-in grated zucchini with wet ingredients. Add walnuts, raisins or chocolate chips, whichever you prefer.
Add dry ingredients in 3 batches.
Mix until combined but do not over mix.
(5) Fill pan just over half full. It will rise when baked. After 15 minutes of baking, add cinnamon crumb topping.
Toppings to add
This moist Zucchini Bread recipe is delicious on its own but adding toppings will add more flavor and texture.
This recipe is great as-is, but it can stand up to a reasonable tweaking to suit your taste.
If you’ve been following my blog, I have always mentioned, it is OK to tweak the recipe to your liking.
I’m not a traditional person even with cooking. If it sounds good, I will try it. How will I know, if I don’t!
Once in a while, especially if time permits, I make it with topping and cut back on sugar in the batter. Apple sauce or pureed apple is also a great substitute for sugar and oil.
(1) Powdered Sugar – Add half a cup of powdered sugar to a sifter or wire mesh strainer then tap it lightly to release some sugar on bread.
(2) Powdered Sugar Glaze – Combine 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream and 1 cup powdered sugar then add 1 to 2 more tablespoons of cream until desired consistency is reached.
Make sure glaze is not too runny. If it is, add a little bit of powdered sugar. Watch my video to see the right glaze thickness.
Pour glaze over warm bread and it will set in a few minutes.
(3) Crumb Topping – Zucchini bread with oats crumb topping is delicious. Oats and flour adds texture while butter, brown sugar and cinnamon adds much luscious flavor.
Note: This topping measurement makes one 8x4 pan. I like a thicker crumb topping but you can always divide it for both pans.
In a small bowl, add ½ cup softened butter, ½ cup regular oats, ½ cup brown sugar, ¼ cup flour and ½ teaspoon cinnamon. You can also add some nutmeg.
Moist Zucchini Bread Recipe
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup applesauce or pureed apple
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups grated zucchini
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
Cinnamon Crumb Topping
- ½ cup butter softened
- ½ cup regular oats
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Grease two 8 x 4 inch pans with butter then lightly floured. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- In a bowl, combine all the dry ingredients. Mix sifted flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In another bowl, combine all the wet ingredients.
- Beat eggs lightly then add oil, apple sauce or pureed apple, vanilla, white and brown sugar and mix well.
- Stir in zucchini and nuts to wet ingredients until combined. Then add dry ingredients in 3 batches until well combined. Do not over mix.
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake between 40 to 55 minutes. After 15 minutes of baking, add crumb topping on zucchini bread.
- In a bowl, combine crumb topping ingredients: butter, oats, cinnamon, brown sugar and flour.
- Insert a toothpick at the center, if it comes out clean then it’s done. Remove bread from oven and cool in rack for about 20 minutes. Remove bread from pan and completely cool in rack.
- I double the crumb topping servings for a thicker topping.
- I used frozen peeled apple instead of apple sauce. Blend 1 cup frozen apple with 3 tablespoons of water.
- This recipe makes two 8 x 4 pans. I made 1 - 8 x 4 pan, 1 mini loaf, 2 different sizes bundt pan.