This classic Moist Zucchini Bread recipe is easy, an all-time favorite made of grated zucchini and crunchy walnut incorporated in the batter in a subtle cinnamon nutmeg flavor with delicious spiced crumb topping.
It is something that can be enjoyed year round especially if you are growing this healthy vegetable in your garden in the summer with overflowing zucchini.
Sometimes I wonder why it is called bread and not a cake, since it resembles a cake more. Anyway, bread or cake it is delicious and not at all sweet.
My mom is not much of a baker. She’ll bake with friends but on her own it’s very seldom. When I started cooking, I learned 4 to 5 stuff to bake and this bread is one of them.
As with any food that calls for sugar, if I could, I try to cut down the amount. If you like it sweet, then you might not like my zucchini bread. YOU WILL, just add some sugar!
This Zucchini Bread is good on its own but topping it with spiced crumble topping, glaze or dusting of powdered sugar will take it to the next level. If you made some of my desserts, you will notice it is not too sweet. I reduce the amount of sugar if I could.
By the way, like I said it is so easy to make, no need for a mixer – one less thing to wash!
What to Add in Zucchini Bread?
(1) Walnut – Chopped walnuts not whole.
(3) Chocolate Chip – Give chocolate chips a light coating of flour before adding to the batter. This will prevent chips from sinking to the bottom.
Tips in Making This Moist Zucchini Bread Recipe
(1) Choose a firm zucchini. Wash and don’t peel. Zucchini skin will add texture to the bread. Grate and set aside.
Note: Zucchini is moist, if not sprinkle a little bit of water.
(2) Prepare 2 bowls, one for dry ingredients and the other for wet ingredients. It is much easier to mix the dry and wet ingredients separately. Run flour in a sieve then measure.
(3) NO MIXER NEEDED! Do it manually and do not over mix.
(4)This moist Zucchini Bread recipe is forgiving. Instead of using 1 cup oil, I am using ½ cup oil and ½ cup pureed apple. Frozen apple pureed in a blender with a little bit of water, otherwise use apple sauce.
If you like a sweeter bread, you can add another ½ cup of sugar but if you are adding a topping then think about it twice before adding more sugar.
(4) Mix ingredients in each bowl thoroughly then add and mix grated zucchini with wet ingredients. Add walnuts, raisins or chocolate chips whichever you prefer.
Add dry ingredients in 3 batches.
Mix until evenly combined but do not over mix.
(5) Fill pan just over half full. It will rise when baked. After 15 minutes of baking, add cinnamon crumb topping.
Here are some Toppings to Add to Zucchini Bread
This moist Zucchini Bread recipe is delicious on its own but adding topping adds more flavor and texture to this bread.
This recipe is great as-is but it can stand up to a reasonable tweaking to suit your taste. If you’ve been following my blog, I have always mentioned, it is OK to tweak the recipe to your liking. I’m not a traditional person even with cooking. If it sounds good, I try it. How will I know if I don’t!
I prefer adding a topping that’s why I like cutting back on sugar in the batter. Apple sauce or pureed apple is a great substitute for sugar and oil.
(1) Powdered Sugar – Add half a cup of powdered sugar to a sifter or a wire mesh strainer. Tap sifter or strainer lightly to release some sugar on cake.
(2) Powdered Sugar Glaze – Combine 2 to 4 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream and 1 cup of powdered sugar. Combine 2 tablespoons cream and powdered sugar. Add 1 to 2 more tablespoons of cream to reach desired consistency.
Glaze should not be too runny. If it is, add a little bit of powdered sugar. You can watch my video to see the right glaze thickness or consistency.
Pour glaze over warm bread. Glaze will set in a few minutes.
(3) Crumb Topping – If I have oats, I prefer to add crumb topping to my zucchini bread. Oats and flour add texture while butter, brown sugar and cinnamon adds much luscious flavor.
This measurement is only for one 8 x 4 pan. I like a thicker crumb topping but you can always divide this for both pans.
In a small bowl, add ½ cup butter (softened), ½ cup regular oats, ½ cup brown sugar, ¼ cup flour and ½ teaspoon cinnamon. If you like, you can add some nutmeg.
Moist Zucchini Bread Recipe
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup applesauce or pureed apple
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups grated zucchini
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
Cinnamon Crumb Topping
- ½ cup butter softened
- ½ cup regular oats
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Grease two 8 x 4 inch pans with butter then lightly floured. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- In a bowl, combine all the dry ingredients. Mix sifted flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In another bowl, combine all the wet ingredients.
- Beat eggs lightly then add oil, apple sauce or pureed apple, vanilla, white and brown sugar and mix well.
- Stir in zucchini and nuts to wet ingredients until combined. Then add dry ingredients in 3 batches until well combined. Do not over mix.
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake between 40 to 55 minutes. After 15 minutes of baking, add crumb topping on zucchini bread.
- In a bowl, combine crumb topping ingredients: butter, oats, cinnamon, brown sugar and flour.
- Insert a toothpick at the center, if it comes out clean then it’s done. Remove bread from oven and cool in rack for about 20 minutes. Remove bread from pan and completely cool in rack.
- I like to double the crumb topping servings. I prefer to have a thick topping.
- I used frozen peeled apple instead of apple sauce. Blend 1 cup frozen apple with 3 tablespoons of water.
- This recipe will make two 8 x 4 pans. I made 1 8 x 4 pan, 1 mini loaf, 2 different sizes bundt pan.