Nilupak recipe is one of the many Filipino snacks that is delicious and simple to make. Traditionally in the Philippines, fresh cassava root is boiled and pounded. Once mashed it is combined with the other ingredients. I used frozen grated cassava to make this Nilupak recipe.
Some Asian stores in the US and other countries might not carry fresh cassava root instead they have frozen grated cassava imported from the Philippines or other Asian countries. Thank goodness for the imported frozen cassava we are able to make our favorite Filipino treats like cassava cake, pichi pichi, nilupak, cassava suman and many more. Years ago when I first saw the frozen cassava I was hesitant to use it until one day in a Filipino gathering someone brought cassava cake and it was delicious. Similar to my mom’s recipe using fresh cassava.
Honestly using the frozen cassava is so convenient. Even if I can avail the fresh cassava root I believe I would gravitate to the frozen version. No need to boil and grate it. In no time I can have my favorite treats.
How to Cook Nilupak Recipe
Watch my video and make this nilupak cassava recipe in no time. Enjoy! Magluto na tayo.
- 1 pound grated cassava
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- ½ cup condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup grated coconut
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a pan with medium to low heat combine frozen grated cassava, grated coconut, condensed milk, butter and salt.
- Mix and stir once in a while to prevent it from burning.
- Spread it over the pan to cook evenly for 25 minutes.
- It will become sticky. Roll in a log and divide it evenly into 10.
- Form each piece into a circle or oval. Cook till each side is golden.
- While waiting for cassava to cook, prepare banana leaves.
- Heat stove to low and run banana leaves quickly over fire to make it pliable.
- Cut 10 pieces of banana leaves. Place a small piece or ¼ teaspoon of butter in the middle of each banana leaves. Set aside.
- Prepare coconut topping
- Combine grated coconut and sugar. Mix well. Set aside.
Once cassava is done. Transfer each piece in the banana leaves and top each Nilupak with a small piece of butter (1/4 teaspoon) and grated coconut and sugar.