This Bacon Spinach Frittata is slow cooked egg mixture with bacon, onion, spinach, ham, tomato, red bell pepper, heavy cream and seasonings.
Frittata is an Italian open-faced (no crust) egg dish similar to a crustless quiche and easier to make than an omelette.
All these dishes are versatile, easy and quick to make with similar ingredients. I don’t see any difference between a frittata and a crustless quiche except for the ingredients you decide to use.
But there is definitely a difference between frittata and omelette. All the ingredients for Bacon Spinach Frittata are added and combined with egg mixture then cooked at low heat until it set.
While an omelette, the egg mixture is slightly fried before the cooked ingredients are added and placed in the center folding both sides of egg mixture to envelope the filling.
When I buy spinach for salad or soup at Costco or Sams, I usually have some leftover spinach. Sometimes I forget about it and it goes to waste.
Once I make the salad, I wash all the spinach so I don’t procrastinate what to do with the leftover. Bacon Spinach Frittata or an omelette are always my go-to for leftover spinach.
I cook the spinach with the onion and refrigerate. The following day, I prepare the other ingredients. This way, I am using it while it is fresh and not starting to wilt.
Honestly, it’s endless. I will name a few of my favorite stuff to add but you can always toss-in what you like. In fact, this is the best time to clean up your vegetable bin.
Egg white – yes, you can substitute whole egg with egg white. You will need more egg white though.
Spinach – I used fresh baby spinach. Regular or frozen will work as well. Wash regular spinach by submerging it in water a few times until it’s clean. Place in a colander to drain. If using frozen spinach, squeeze the water out.
Mushroom (any variety) – I definitely love adding mushroom, I just don’t have it.
Deli meat – I used bacon and ham but it can be whatever you like – turkey, chicken etc.
Potato – should be diced into smaller pieces.
Broccolli and other vegetables – Cook vegetables before adding to egg mixture
Other cheeses – add your favorite cheese. Feta cheese is really good with frittata.
Milk – instead of heavy cream you can use regular milk, soy milk, almond milk, buttermilk etc.
Spices – I love adding smoked paprika and other spices like nutmeg.
Note: Just make sure you are not adding too much liquid to the mixture, it tends to be soggy.
Can I make it in advance
Yes, Bacon Spinach Frittata can be made in advance. Place in an airtight container and refrigerate up to 4 days. Heat in the microwave for 15 – 20 seconds or have it cold.
How to Make Bacon Spinach Frittata
(1) Cook frittata on stove top or in the oven. I am using both. Use a cast iron or safe proof non-stick skillet about 9 to 10 inches in diameter and 2 inches deep.
If using oven only, bake at 350 degrees F for 25–30 minutes then switch to broil for 3 to 4 minutes.
(2) In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, heavy cream, cheddar and mozzarella cheese, garlic powder, salt and pepper. If you are adding smoked paprika or other spices, this is the time to add it. Set it aside.
(3) Heat cast iron over medium heat. Lightly brush the sides and bottom with 1 tablespoon oil. When hot, fry bacon until crisp.
Transfer bacon on a plate lined with paper towel. Reserve or discard bacon grease and leave 1 tablespoon in cast iron. Note: Reserve 1 more tablespoon of bacon grease to be used later.
(4) Cook red onion for 30 seconds then add spinach. Cook spinach until wilted.
Note: I washed the baby spinach even though it is pre-washed. It is a habit that I wash almost everything I use.
If you do, drain water. When cooked, discard released liquid.
(5) Transfer spinach on plate with bacon.
(6) Meanwhile, reduce heat to low then brush again the sides and bottom of cast iron with 1 tablespoon bacon grease.
(7) Combine ham, tomato, red bell pepper, bacon, spinach and onion mixture in egg mixture. Blend well. Pour mixture in cast iron.
Make sure ingredients are equally distributed using a spatula.
Note: If you like, you can reserve some tomatoes, bacon and ham for the top of frittata. These ingredients will be added once it has quite set already.
I didn’t. I just rearranged some of the tomatoes, spinach and onion on top.
(8) Cover cast iron with lid and cook frittata slow at low heat for 25-30 minutes. When sides are slightly brown and frittata has set, turn off heat. The center will be moist with some liquid but not runny.
(9) Transfer cast iron in preheated oven. Broil at 350 degrees F for 3 to 4 minutes.
(10) Use a knife or spatula to loosen the sides of frittata. Slice and serve.
This Bacon Spinach Frittata recipe is versatile, delicious, colorful and easy to make. Great to have for breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner or any time of day.
Great for meal preps too!
More Delicious Egg Recipe to Try
Bacon Spinach Frittata Recipe
- 9 large eggs
- ⅓ cup heavy cream or milk
- ⅓ cup Sharp cheddar cheese grated
- ⅓ cup Mozzarella cheese grated
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 strips of thick bacon sliced
- ½ cup ham diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease
- ¼ cup red onion julienne
- ¼ cup red bell pepper julienne
- 1 ½ cups cherry tomato halved
- 3 cups baby spinach packed
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika optional
- In a mixing bowl, whisk eggs, heavy cream, cheddar and mozzarella cheese, garlic powder, salt and pepper. If you like, you can also add smoked paprika but optional. Set aside.
- In a cast iron or oven-proof non-stick skillet (size 9-10 inches diameter by 2 inches deep) over medium heat, brush the sides and bottom of cast iron with 1 tablespoon oil, not necessary to do with skillet. Add and fry bacon until crisp. Transfer bacon to a plate lined with paper towel. Remove excess bacon grease leaving 1 tablespoon in cast iron. Note: You will need 1 more tablespoon of bacon grease for later use.
- Reduce heat to low. brush the inside of cast iron with 1 tablespoon bacon grease.
- Add red onion and cook for 30 seconds.
- Toss-in spinach and cook until wilted. Transfer spinach on the same plate with bacon. Remove and discard liquid from skillet. Note: If you washed the spinach, make sure to remove the excess liquid.
- Combine bacon, ham, cherry tomato, red bell pepper, spinach and onion in egg mixture. Mix well.
- Note: If you like, you can save some of these ingredients to add on top of frittata before it set.
- Brush the sides and bottom of cast iron with 1 tablespoon bacon grease. Pour egg mixture in cast iron. Cook for 25 – 30 minutes at low heat. Once the sides start to brown, keep an eye on the frittata. The center should be a little bit liquidy but set. Turn off heat.
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees F and broil spinach frittata for 3 – 4 minutes. Note: I had it in a toaster oven.
- Slice and serve in the skillet or transfer to a plate. Enjoy!
- If you washed spinach, place in a colander to drain. Also remove excess liquid when cooked.
- Bacon Spinach Frittata can be made in advance and refrigerate up to 4 days. Heat in the microwave for 20 seconds or have it cold. It is delicious cold.
- If using frozen spinach, squeeze out water. It can be added directly to egg mixture as well as the onions.
- Don't add too much salt as cheese and bacon are already salty.
- For ingredient substitutions, refer to blog.