Easy Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry is a popular, delicious Chinese dish that you can quickly make at home. Beef is marinated, stir fried with crisp broccoli in a savory brown sauce and cooks in less than an hour. This beef and broccoli stir fry is easy and pairs well with white rice.
If you frequently order this Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry from your favorite Chinese restaurant or Panda Express, try this recipe.
You can choose whatever cut of beef you prefer and in no time you can serve this delicious dish.
What cut of beef to use with stir fry
- Tri tip Steak
- Flank Steak
- Chuck Steak
- Top Sirloin Steak
- Other expensive cut like Rib Eye, Fillet Mignon
I prefer beef with some marbling. Tri tip steak works well with this dish. Trim some of the surrounding fat and slice beef thinly in an angle and against the grain. Cut it the same sizes so they cook evenly.
You can use a leaner cut like sirloin or tenderloin.
Beef marinade ingredients
Beef is marinated for at least 30 minutes for a tastier and tender meat.
This marinade uses only 3 common Chinese ingredients.
- Shaoxing Rice Wine
- Soy Sauce – use dark soy sauce if you like a darker sauce. I used regular soy sauce.
Ever wondered when ordering this dish or any other Chinese dish, the meat is so tender and silky in texture?
Chinese use a cooking technique called velveting. They marinate the meat mixed with cornstarch.
Meat is lightly coated with cornstarch which acts as a protective covering when stir-frying.
It keeps the meat tender and not overcooked. Cornstarch also helps thicken the sauce.
I don’t always do it for other stir fry especially if I am in a rush or if I only have a small amount of meat, but it makes a difference.
Marinate for at least 30 minutes and you will surely enjoy moist, tender and tasty meat.
Note: This marinate is enough to lightly coat a 1 ½ pound beef. If you think it’s not enough, it is.
When you stir fry, your wok or pan should be smoking hot plus you don’t want too much liquid that’s why I just have enough marinade. The beef should fry, not steam.
Also, always be mindful to have your cookware hot before pouring oil.
Beef and broccoli sauce ingredients
If you cook Chinese dishes, I bet, you have all these ingredients. They are commonly used in most Chinese food.
They are available in grocery stores in the Asian or Ethnic aisle. I have seen all these ingredients at Walmart.
If you are limiting yourself from running errands during this crazy time, I have included Amazon links to some of the ingredients in the recipe card.
- Oyster sauce – sweet and salty
- Brown sugar
- Shaoxing rice wine
- Hoisin sauce – sweet and salty
- Water or chicken broth - if using water, the dish is much tastier if you add ½ teaspoon Knorr Beef or Chicken Bouillon Powder.
Note: You can double the sauce recipe if you like especially if you have kids. This stir fry sauce is versatile.
You can slightly tweak the measurements to your liking.
If you think adding brown sugar is too sweet for your taste, reduce it or omit it.
Oyster and Hoisin sauce are both sweet, so skipping brown sugar might suit your taste better.
Cooking is about tweaking it your liking. Get creative and experiment.
How to prepare broccoli
Cut broccoli florets the same sizes so they cook at the same time. Wash and leave it in the colander to drain water.
The main stem of broccoli is edible. The skin is tough and it is best to peel it with a peeler or knife. Slice it the same sizes and add it to the dish.
Unfortunately, I forgot to show it in my video. By the time I realized it, my stir fry was already cooked.
This is a one pan dish. If you think you won’t be able to keep the broccoli crisp and crunchy, there are 2 other ways to cook broccoli.
- Blanch – Boil 6 cups of water, drop and cook broccoli for 1 ½ to 2 minutes until tender but crunchy.
- Microwave – Place broccoli in a bowl with 1 to 2 tablespoons water. Cover bowl with a damp paper towel and cook for 1 ½ to 2 minutes.
If you decide to do it this way, add broccoli once the sauce is cooked.
How to make beef and broccoli stir fry
Cut beef the same sizes in an angle and against the grain. Refrigerate and marinate for at least 30 minutes.
Combine all the sauce ingredients before cooking. Double the sauce recipe if you like.
Cut the broccoli florets the same sizes so they cook evenly.
Cooking will be quick so prepare everything before you start.
Get wok or pan smoking hot before pouring the oil. Beef should fry, not steam.
Stir fry broccoli for a minute then push it to the sides. Don’t overcook broccoli. It should be tender, crisp and crunchy.
Pour sauce in the center. Once it simmers and thickens which is quick, add beef and mix all the ingredients.
Turn off heat and transfer right away to a serving plate. Broccoli can get soggy if you leave it in the pan.
Can I make this stir fry recipe with other meat
Yes, you can. Pork and chicken works well with this dish.
Here is a similar recipe Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry Recipe.
Try Other Delicious Healthy Stir Fry Recipe
- Shrimp and Mushroom Stir Fry
- Chinese Celery with Tofu Stir Fry (Ginisang Kinchay at Tokwa)
- Chicken Celery and Tofu Stir Fry
- Chicken Chop Suey with Shrimp Stir-Fry
- Stir-fry Bulgogi Eggplant
- Stir Fried Green Beans with Pork and Asparagus
- Panda Express Kung Pao Chicken Recipe (Copycat)
- Tofu Veggie Stir-Fry in Peanut Garlic Brown Sauce
- Shredded Beef with Worcestershire Sauce
Easy Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry
- 2 tablespoons Shaoxing rice cooking wine
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 ½ pounds tri tip steak (slice thinly in an angle and against the grain)
- 2 ½ tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Shaoxing rice cooking wine
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 cup water or chicken broth (if using broth, don't add Knorr bouillon powder)
- ½ teaspoon Knorr beef or chicken bouillon powder
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- ¼ cup onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger minced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 - 5 cups Broccoli florets
- salt to taste
- sesame seeds optional
- a few pieces of julienned white onion optional
- Cut broccoli florets the same sizes. Wash and drain water in a colander.
- Get wok or pan smoking hot over medium to high heat then pour oil and sesame oil.
- Stir-fry beef on both sides for a total of 3 to 4 minutes depending on your preference (doneness). This is quick since beef is sliced thinly. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Saute onion, garlic and ginger for 1 ½ minutes.
- Toss-in broccoli and cook for a minute then push it on the sides. It will continue to cook.
- Pour sauce. Stir and in a few minutes it will simmer and thicken.
- Add beef and combine all the ingredients until coated with sauce.
- Turn off heat and transfer to a serving platter right away. Broccoli will get soggy if you leave it in the pan.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and julienned white onion.
- In the post above, I have tips that can help you cook this delicious dish.
- Double the sauce, if you like.
- The marinade is enough for a 1 ½ pound beef. I don’t suggest adding more. Beef should fry, not steam.
- Soy sauce is salty, add salt only if needed. I did not.
- If using chicken broth in sauce, no need to add Knorr beef or chicken bouillon powder.